Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Eco Friendly Mower Does more than Cut the Grass


I have now mowed twice with my new push mower, Glimour. Gilmour is remarkably easy to use and mowing was almost fun, if mowing the yard can be fun. I also purchased a small weed trimmer and THAT was way fun to use. Some parts of the grass though are not so happy, I need more practice trimming.

The mower, fondly named Gilmour(that is the brand), was easy to put together and was almost as easy to use. One thing I did noticed, it is really loud! It is self sharpening so the metal blade rubs against a metal edge on the bottom, to sharpen the blade. This makes a huge amount of noise. I have never used a gas powered mower so I don't know how it compares noise wise but the noise is enough to where I was a little embarrassed using it thinking everyone in the neighborhood could hear it! Of course, that is silly so I got over that fairly quickly, but if you buy a self sharpening mower, expect it to be noisy.





Glimour mows great. The blade is 20 inches long and has 5 different heights. I keep it at 4 to keep the grass somewhat high, it helps keep the weeds from growing. My yard angles down slightly at the edge so I drop one side down to 1 or 2 on the edge side to cut that grass a bit shorter. Works great!

Glimour also came with a clippings basket that attaches to the back of the mower to catch all the grass clippings. This is great, I can add the clippings to my compost pile! The basket comes off fairly easily. The only bad thing might be the depth of the basket. Because of the way it goes on, there isn't much room so you have to unload it several times throughout the mowing.


The trimmer, which has no name yet, is perfect for me. I am short and my arm strength is not so great. This Black and Decker model is light weight and almost looks like a minature weed trimmer. It's really cute! I edged all the grass and trimmed up the jasmine. The yard almost looks like professional landscapers came! Only, if you look closely, the edges aren't exactly even, the trimmer ate the grass more in some places than others. But you, uneven edges add character!


So overall, very pleased. Yard looks decent, compost pile is happy and I got a bit of a workout. If you have a push mower, would love to hear how you like it! Please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom T-Shirts