Thursday, September 10, 2009

E-Coupons Missed the Mark

E-coupons, good idea? Not sure. 
I like the concept of e-coupons but the practicality of them escapes me today. I think companies have shifted the burden from themselves to the consumers, I know have to remember what the coupon is for. Let me explain.

Ton Thumb, a subsidiary of Safeway send me what I thought was a pretty ridiculous mailer with babies all over it. It had three baby product coupons inside. As an aside, I found it ridiculous because I've never bought baby products there and I don't have a baby, very bad target marketing.

But, I do KNOW people with babies and I have a friend that just had a baby so I decided I would just give her the coupons. The inside of the mailer stated there was another $10 off coupon waiting for me online. Great I thought, I can give that to my friend as well. I went online, entered my frequent shopper card info and the code number on the mailer and found out there were other discount offers and indeed there was a $10 off deal... but... the "coupons" were loaded onto my frequent shopper card, not printable coupons. This means I can't give them to my friend! argh.

They do provide an option to get an email or to print the information but this to me just shifts the paper waste and expense to me instead of them. And I didn't choose any of those options and closed out the window so now even if I wanted to use the coupons, I have no idea what the deals were.

In the corner of the page there was also a deal for Lucerne eggs which I added myself to. But of course, it is loaded on the card too and who could possible remember if that was for Grade A Large, Medium or Extra Large eggs?

Good idea for paperless coupons but I think there needs to be a bit more consumer education or company troubleshooting.

Here is the email I received letting me know I can get free eggs.

What do you think? Have you received similar deals? Ever used any? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom T-Shirts